Engineering, especially electrical engineering (which is also known as electrical and electronic engineering) has experienced a rapid change in the past couple of decades and as a professional engineering discipline, it has become quite popular. If you are interested in electrical and electronic engineering education and want to pursue it, you can look for colleges in Singapore which offer the course.
There are quite a few colleges based in Singapore which have courses in electrical and electronic engineering and finding one will not be much of a problem. Students who pass out these Singapore colleges etch successful and challenging careers for themselves. However, if you are someone who has always been interested in pursuing research rather than bagging a corporate job with a fat paycheck, you will be glad to know that the scope offered by these colleges for electrical and electronic engineering research is plenty.
Importance of research
Electrical engineering education in Singapore, like elsewhere in the world, has experienced an expansion and much of the expansion can be credited to research. Excellence in research related to different areas of electronic engineering education has played a crucial role in the subject gaining prominence. Research can be defined as the exploration of the unknown and it is based on the belief that something new and exciting can be discovered. Once you have completed your course, you can start a research program. The subject of electrical engineering is vast and hence, there are several research topics that you can work on.
A few research topics to consider:
* Remote sensing and electromagnetics – This can involve the theoretical, computational and experimental techniques and methods for remote sensing of the earth, different electromagnetic methods, circuits modeling, high-speed devices. Waves in rough surfaces and random media, advanced algorithms for processing of radar signal, RF circuit and antenna design can also be a part of your research.
* Integrated circuits and systems – On chips, integrated systems have gradually evolved into whole systems and your research ideas can be based on this.
* Nanotechnology – Your research can emphasize on applied nanotechnology and include nanoelectronics, microelectronics, microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), portable surface plasmon resonance (SPR), chemical sensing system etc. This area has already had a massive impact on the computer and integrated circuits industry and will continue exerting its impact in times to come.
* Power and energy – Your research can focus on critical technologies related to power electronics, power systems and also electric drives. Research projects related to the topic of power and energy are usually interdisciplinary and involve power, signal processing, sensors, computer science, economics etc.
* Robotics, systems and controls – You can explore the theoretical and experimental issues in designing, controlling and optimizing biologically-based robotics, autonomous mobile robotics and surgical robot technology among others.
* Signal processing – Signal processing is integrally related to a plethora of engineering problems, ranging from human-computer interaction to processing of medical signal information. Choose the key area of application before moving ahead with your research on this topic. Your application areas can be data compression, pattern recognition, time-frequency analysis etc.